- Doctoral Research Lines
- European Observatory of Communication
- University Institutes
Arnau Mir de Tost Chair: Arts and humanities
The Arnau Mir de Tost Chair for specialised research is the scientific unit concerned with research in the fields of scientific knowledge related to the eUniv Faculty of Arts and Humanities.
Carries out the following activities:
Fostering specialised scientific calls, such as symposiums, congresses, conferences, meetings and roundtables, that contribute to scientific research in its fields and especially of people involved in its lines of doctoral research.
Implementation of advanced postgraduate training activities, such as conferences, courses and seminars, aimed at consolidating studies both in terms of the methodological line of research and the methodological initiation to pre-doctoral study.
People with a university master’s degree or equivalent can apply for admission to the following lines of research organized by the Chair for the Doctoral Program:
1. Name of the line of doctoral research
Universities and Nation:
Universities in Catalan History
2. UNESCO codes related to the research linede recerca
|5500: History||07: History of Education|
|5800: Pedagogy||02: Organization and Planning of Education|
|5900: Politics||07: Educational Policy|
|6300: Sociology||05: Sociology of Education|
3. Recommended admission requirements for candidates
Candidates are interested in research on higher education, who are trained in the branches of Humanities and Social Sciences and Law. Applicants are familiar with the methodologies of History and its auxiliary sciences. Candidates must have a B2 linguistic competence in Catalan, Spanish or English and availability in accordance with the requirements of the doctoral regime of the European Higher Education Area. Lastly, prospects preferably have a link with an entity that motivates and justifies their application.
Arnau Mir de Tost Chair of Arts and Humanities
5. Leading Centre
Centre for History Studies
6. Main Coordinator
Dr. Marc B. Escolà
7. Object of Study
This line of doctoral research aims at the systematic study of the adaptation of the various regions of the world to technological changes that affect higher education institutions and systems. Initially, the leading centre confines the territorial scope of the object of study to the Ibero-American countries, beginning with those of South America.
The line of research is proposed, as a general hypothesis, to demonstrate that the level of historical harmony between the institutional evolution of the analysed universities and the political, social, economic and cultural evolution of their environment and of Catalonia as a whole, with the objective of being able to compare the results obtained with those of other European countries
10. Analytical model
In this line, doctoral research must necessarily assume the following analytical structure in their Doctoral Research Plan:
- Justification of the research.
- Presentation of the doctoral research case.
- Formulation of the general hypothesis and the specific ones.
- First part
- Conceptualization of the university as a social institution object of scientific analysis.
- Theoretical approaches and perspectives applied in the study of university institutions.
- Methodology and techniques for the historical analysis of university institutions.
- General and specialized documentary and bibliographic sources for the study of university institutions.
- Second part
- Descriptive analysis of the historical, general and local environment, of the creation and development of the university object of the doctoral case study.
- Descriptive analysis of institutional structures, which includes relations with public authorities, the government itself, economic and material resources, and the academic staff of the university that is the object of the doctoral case study.
- Descriptive analysis of university students, which includes admission, study conditions, student life, graduation and professionalization, and mobility of the university object of the doctoral case study.
- Descriptive analysis of university knowledge, which includes teaching methods, study plans, faculties and centres of the university object of the doctoral case study.
- Third part
- Conclusive analysis on the impact of the great cultural historical changes (Scholasticism, Humanism, Enlightenment, Scientific Revolution, etc.) on the university object of the doctoral case study.
- Conclusive analysis on the impact of the university object of the doctoral case study on the evolution of its local territorial environment and of the whole of the Catalan-speaking territories.
- Fourth part
- General and specialized bibliographic sources used in the research.
- Specific documentary sources used in the investigation.
11. Options of doctoral research
Initially, candidates admitted to this line of doctoral research may choose one of the following options as a case study:
- University of Lleida
- University of Tortosa
- University of Solsona
- University of Vic
- University of Tarragona
- University of Girona
- University of Barcelona
- University of Perpinyà
Study cases are going to be assigned to doctoral students by strict order of admission date and taking into account the interest or the accredited link with one or another option.
12. Specialized training
In accordance with the Doctoral Program guidelines, the doctoral research line organizes the corresponding training activity, which the doctoral students must carry out online during the first year of the program.
This specialized training allows doctoral students to gain prior knowledge of all the necessary theoretical and methodological elements to carry out their research. It is structured in seven units:
- Construction of the object of study.
- Theoretical approaches to the object of study.
- Research methodology and techniques.
- Sources of information and documentation for the investigation.
- Research hypothesis.
- Context and scope of the investigation.
- Structure of the investigation.
13. Scientific calls and activities
The Coordination of the line of doctoral research annually convenes a Scientific Conference to present and debate on the theoretical and methodological issues that affect the object of study of the line. These conferences are open to all doctoral students and researchers working in the same scientific field, who are invited to share their findings and engage in debates.
Likewise, at the end of the second year of the program, doctoral students can attend public events carried out by other doctoral students, which are also convened by the Coordination of the Doctoral Program.
Doctoral students can participate in public events organized by the J. H. Newman Doctoral School, such as presentations of publications or projects, conferences and debates, etc.
In addition, the Coordination of the research line informs the doctoral students of the calls that other scientific and academic entities carry out about the object of study or related fields, so that they are aware of them and can present, if appropriate, works carried out during their doctoral research.
14. Scientific Publications
The Coordination of the research line is going to provide doctoral students with a list of specialized publications and papers, to which they have to direct their proposals in order to publish their doctoral research.
Català / English / Español
16. Additional information
Contact details: email@example.com
PhD regulations: https://euniv.eu/universitat/normativa/
The Management Office of the Arnau Mir de Tost Chair is the higher academic body responsible for its coordination, promotion and representation to the collegiate bodies of the J. H. Newman Doctoral School.
The Manager of the Arnau Mir de Tost Chair is Dr Francesc Fité, professor in the Department of History Art, who joined in the academic year 2019-20. His mandate ends on 31 August 2023. firstname.lastname@example.org
The Technical Secretariat is the academic body responsible for its ordinary management and monitoring of the quality of its activities, in accordance with the eUniv Internal Quality Assurance System.
The Technical Secretary of the Arnau Mir de Tost Chair is Dr Xavier Fantova, professor in the Department of Philosophy, who joined in the academic year 2020-21. His mandate ends on 31 August 2023. email@example.com
The Chair also has a Scientific Advisory Committee that acts as an advisory collegiate body when considering and deliberating on proposals for activities.
The Scientific Advisory Committee of the Arnau Mir de Tost Chair is formed by Dr C. Barlabé, Dr R. Batlle, Dr J. J. Busqueta, Dr F. Espanyol, Dr T. Ibars, Dr J. Olives and Dr J. M. Sans. Their mandate ends on 31 August 2023.